01 November 2007

El Dia de los Muertos

In October 2005 I posted something about this day.... the post is here

It really is sad how traditions are dieing, those sugar skulls that you see there? It's hard to find them now, at least on this part of the country, some were hand made and really delicious, well yeah if yo don't count all the sugar that's in there! LOL

The bread is excellent every year, we buy a big one at Costco and they know how to make it, no, not everyone can make this kind of bread, it has to have a certain spice that only grows this time of year, "agua de azhar" extract from an orange flower I beleive, now don't get me wrong, Costco does not use this kind of ingredient (and if they do, they need to put more in it since you need to taste the orange, it's still delicious though!) but when you use this ingredient... mmmmm delicious! And with a cup of hot chocolate Mmmm okay I will stop now hehe

Last night I saw a lot of kids dressed up in different costumes, asking for candy, and I have always wandered, if they really know the meaning of that? Why they do that? Why the costumes? (No I don't either) I hope parents tell them why they do what they do it... but I will investigate later... for another message :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hallowe'en as it is today descends from Irish immigrants to the US and the old Celtic beliefs. The brief explanation is that Hallowe'en is the day when spirits can cross over into the living world. The living wear costumes to either scare or hide amongst the spirits. Offerings are made to placate them as well, with kids being allowed to pretend to be spirits to go get some of these offerings.

You should have our Dia de los Muertos/Hallowe'en card now or very soon. We love both holidays.

Japan and China have similar holidays, but since they come in the summer, don't seem to resonate so much with Carrie and me, and thus we don't celebrate them.

Anonymous said...

It is wierd. Over here (specially in this side of The Netherlands) we don't have Halloween at all. Sure, we hear people from all over the world talk about it, for it is a normal day as many others.
I think it is important to know and to learn about each others customs and way of living... So much to learn... )
I love to learn :)