11 September 2007

¡Que Viva Mexico!

September and December are my favorite months of the year, specially September, it's the month we celebrate Mexico's Independence, yes, you read right, it's not May 5th. like a lot of people think.

Every May 5th. lots of people tell me "HAPPY CINCO DE MAYO!" And I say.. "thank you" but then I ask... do you know what we celebrate? And they said "Independence Day!" Now, if you are reading this and are one of those who told me that, I don't mean to be rude or make fun of you.. on the contrary, I just want to set the record straight.

On September 15th. we celebrate the start of our Independence, at the end of this message there is a great link of this date and May fifth. so you can see the difference.

On that day at night we get together infront of the TV and watch The President ring the same bell that was rang in 1810, listen to some mariachi and watch great fireworks!

I remember when I was living in Mexico City and I was little, when I started spotting the little stands in the corner selling flags I remember saying "My birthday is coming!" and loved to watch the fireworks on TV.

And it seems that in September everyone feels prouder to live in Mexico, what I love it's that for one day, on Sept. 15th. at night, everyone forgets their problems, and come together in the Zocalo in Mexico City, or on their own state, listen to Mariachi, eat mexican food, be happy be marry, and everyone at once scream ¡¡¡VIVA MEXICO!!!

I'm proud of my country, rich in culture, beautiful places and friendly people, so that's why I say it proudly. ¡¡QUE VIVA MEXICO!!

This is the page I found where it explains -close enough- our celebrations.
http://www.inside-mexico.com/featureindep.htm

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Uh-oh. Did I miss your birthday? Sorry. Belated felicitations.

Anonymous said...

That the Mexico Live, but that he not live far away ¿hey?